10th July 2013
Two ways to improve government policy and implementation
(These are notes I made from some readings.) Two ways to improve government policy and implementation:
Do things cheaper (efficiency)
- Technical proficiency
- Understand the details (devil is in the detail)
- Cost effective/ Value for money
- Contestability, collective bargaining by government (in procurement)
- Customer centric
Do things differently (innovation)
- Always ask: What is Government’s role? Sunset all grants, programs, subsidies (in addition to regulations)
- Imagination/ aspiration. Aspire for the world-best.
- Create room to innovate. Be prepared to fail (but don’t fail on the same thing twice). Seek opposite views. Be concerned about the big stuff.
- Private sector service delivery: facilitate the community in delivering its own needs (e.g. dams/ roads: allocate property rights)
- Use technology to increase transparency, build mobile apps (getting citizens to work for you for free – i.e. pothole identification; feedback which builds knowledge, patients can share their stories)