10th July 2011
Freedom News: Milton Friedman’s forthcoming 100th anniversary
I'm going to start a series called "Freedom News" that will amplify (by being repeated on my blog) the many messages I get from across the world regarding activities to promote freedom.
I wish I had more time to devote to such activities, but the least I can do is to post them on my blog under the "Freedom News" tag. If you can, please re-radiate these blog posts. Let the world know that there are thousands of people working to enhance freedom, and that we (on FTI or IPI) are not alone.
I happen to have become a co-administrator of this group over the past three months. This group has over 3,000 members.
Some interesting quotes from Friedman
- “If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand”
- "During an election, politicians try to outbribe voters with all kinds of special goodies, supposedly to be paid for by other voters."
Others at: http://thinkexist.com/quotes/milton_friedman/ and other places on the internet.
Now for the main news:
Milton Friedman's forthcoming 100th anniversary
Free To Choose Network is celebrating the life and ideas of one of liberty's great communicators. We're calling it: Milton Friedman's Century <http://miltonfriedmanscentury.org/index.php> . Remember, Samuel Adams said "It does not take a majority to prevail. but rather an irate tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." Friedman spent his life setting those brushfires. Now it's our turn to take the torch.
The idea is this: In 2012, Professor Friedman would have turned 100. We'd like for 2012 to be a Milton Friedman-themed celebration of the man, his ideas and the movement he embodied. In other words, we're trying to get everyone in the Freedom Movement to do something on at least one day in 2012. You're only limited by the theme: Friedman's life and ideas.
See what organizations are already involved: http://miltonfriedmanscentury.org/calendar/index.php?view=list
How might you celebrate?
- Write a Friedman-oriented op-ed in a major publication.
- Have a day of Friedman blogging.
- Hold a luncheon with speakers on Friedman.
- Show Free or Equal <http://ideasmatter.typepad.com/ideas-matter/2011/05/my-entry-1.html> , or perhaps the Free To Choose Network's special edition re-release of the original Free To Choose.
- Do something completely original! (Just let us know.)
Here's how you can participate:
If you prefer, reply directly to this email. We'd be happy to put you or your organization on the calendar with a tentative date and a theme "TBD." I can follow up with reminders and get details later. At this point, your commitment to do something is enough to help us build momentum.
Can we count on your participation? Please respond today and let me know if you're the best person to contact in your organization for planning purposes.
Milton Friedman's Century Coordinator
(PS: Please forward this note along to anyone you think might be interested!)