September 4, 2010
Thanks to Vivek Iyer I spent about two hours today discovering about, watching (Youtube), and hearing (on radio) Baba Shiv, Professor of Marketing at Stanford. Recall my review of Gut Feelings by Gerd Gigerenzer? And citations of neuroeconomics books? Well, Baba Shiv is one more author in that line, a genius at work unpacking our brain and showing us for what we actually are.
The key point he makes is that emotions are critical to decision making. That's doesn't mean that rushing to judgement (Blink!) is a good thing.
He also shows how our expectations of value are determined by our emotions which are very impressionable and influenced by the price sticker! Stick a higher price on a bottle of wine and people not just report but EXPERIENCE more pleasure!
Further, pleasure is more in the anticipation of an event than in the event itself. Finally, our willpower is very weak and easily comes under pressure. Solution: just do one thing at a time: keep one resolution. Only one. Focus. Don't be harebrained.
Here are some useful links:
c) And now a Youtube video lecture. Enjoy!
If you found this post useful, then consider subscribing to my blog by email:
Join the Freedom Team of India or become a Freedom Partner.
This is one of India's most popular blogs.
SUBSCRIBE by email:BEFORE YOU COMMENT ON THIS BLOG:
(1) Please make sure you:
(a) have read the Sone Ki Chidiya Total Reform Agenda; and
(b) are an organ donor.
(2) Be aware that any comment that is abusive or does not add value will be rejected.
- My initial views on Baba Ramdev's movement
- Baba Ramdev’s irrational demand to prohibit cow slaughter
- Baba Ramdev is not communal, of that I’m sure. Also some info – FYI
- Now I’m concerned! Baba Ramdev’s ideas must change.
- Did Baba Ramdev offer to be arrested? If so, the Congress must resign
- Baba Ramdev needs to think more deeply
- Now, here’s something Baba Ramdev is very good at
- Baba Ramdev a good man, but how does one get him to understand good policy?
- Is Baba Ramdev an arm of the BJP?
- When is this cheap magician, Sathya Sai Baba doing to die?